Dunlop House was the headquarters of Dunlop Rubber, and the address at which the original pneumatic tyre patent was drafted in 1893 ‘for the wheels of Velocipedes and other Vehicles’.
During the Irish Civil War, Oriel House became the base for the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Irish Free State’s nascent police force. This was run by Michael Collins.
It was used by the Department of Lands in the late 1940s and Gaeltarra Eireann had its head office there in the 1950s.
The two adjacent buildings were interconnected to form Dunlop Oriel House which, for a long time, was the location of the Dublin Dental Hospital and Dental School in Trinity.
Across the road is Sweny’s pharmacy which featured in James Joyce’s novel ‘Ulysses’. Lemon soap, like that bought by Leopold Bloom, can still be bought today.
Wikipedia page of History of the Oriel House
A map showing the location of the CTVR headquarters